Interview with our Creative Director, Saad Hajidin, Holiday 2018
~By Susanne Taylor
1. What was your inspiration behind holiday 2018?
– Holiday 2018 is a continuation of fall 2018. In an effort to fulfill the need of the tennis industry, we’ve made a decision to show the two collections simultaneously. It was the first time for me to work on two collections together. A daunting task at first, but as I began working on the collection(s), it made more sense. It was like a big winter dream. Two collections that are cohesive but distinctive on its own. I imagined our customers falling in love with the silhouettes from the first collection and get to fall in love with them all over again in new colors.
2. You always thrill us with how you manage to stay true to the inPhorm DNA yet embrace newness and stay on trend. Elaborate on the newness in holiday and tell us how you were able to keep the inPhorm DNA integrity intact while achieving the trend.
– Trends are good. They challenge you as a designer. But when you live and breathe the DNA, it is not difficult to stay focused. Newness is a progression. It is an opportunity to excite your customers. A new detail like the collared V neck on our Krista Top is simple but stands out. Reviving our classic pleats and flounces with printed stripes and inventing construction details that surpass the industry and our own expectation is all part of adding newness.
3. What can the inPhorm customer expect to see in color for holiday 18?
– Deep crimson, bright winterberry red, heather grey, haze and marl black are key colors for holiday.
4. What is your favorite new tennis style and why?
– Half Zip Mesh Racerback Polo Tank is my favorite holiday silhouette. The style is an homage to the classic polo but modern and stylish with the mesh panel around the shoulder and racer back. It is both technical and sophisticated.
5. What is your favorite golf style?
– My favorite is the Jessica Dress. She’s elegant, sophisticated and our customers favorite dress in fall.
6. What is your favorite lifestyle piece in the holiday collection?
– Full Zipper Relaxed Pants would be my favorite piece in lifestyle. The full-length zipper on the sides lets you style and express your mood. It is designed to be a fun piece.
7. Can you give the consumer a sneak peek at inPhorm spring 2019?
– Without giving away too much, what our fans can expect for spring 2019 are bold colors and patterns. I’m going outside of my comfort zone to incorporate color blocking into the collection.
8. Are you seeing any new and exciting trends that you plan to embrace in 2019? New fabrications?
– We have a beautiful collection of core technical fabrics. What I plan to do in spring is add newness to our already successful fabrics. I’m adding texture such as perforation and adding UV protection to the fabrics.
9. Congratulations on the success of the fundraising Equine Tee that you shared with us in our last interview. I read that you have already expanded on the tee offering. Is this true? If so, when will it be available?
– Thank you. This is very dear to me. We did well with our launch of the women’s tee this spring. But the men who support the organization felt like they were left behind. They too want to wear our tees. This holiday we are launching the unisex tee. This will be included in our holiday gift guide. I just hope we made enough to meet the demand.
10. inPhorm’s international growth has been the talk of the industry. Tell us about your plans to expand globally.
– We’ve already seen growth in Europe, especially in England and Ireland. We’re now working with our Swiss distributor to expand on tennis and break into the golf business in Switzerland and Germany. Our launch in Canada was very well received. This holiday we are excited to launch inPhorm in South East Asia with our distributor Leonian in Singapore.